Tuesday, July 30, 2013

PET Scan Day: Not an Update

Yesterday Roland ate only meat and veggies--no sugars or starches.  He wasn't supposed to exercise at all-- not even typing or other repetitive movements.  I put him in bed where he watched a few movies, ate, and rested all day.  That night he didn't sleep well.  He occasionally has bouts of restless leg syndrome.  Last night was especially grueling.  I fell in and out of sleep not knowing if I was dreaming or awake.  Sometimes he would be beside me and awake; sometimes he was gone--trying to be more comfortable on the couch?  I just kept thinking, "He needs to be still and not exert himself for the scan to be accurate."  I also felt helpless, not knowing how I could help him sleep.  I rubbed lavender oil on his feet.  It helped a little.

So this morning he was in a serious mood.  We left early.  We arrived early.  The scan came and went without trumpeting or celebration. I was not allowed to go with him because of the radioactive contamination possibilities.  He was "hot." So I waited.  He said we wouldn't know the results for a few days.  WHAT???!  I think inwardly.  I said nothing.  He had an appointment with the radiation doctor immediately afterwards, so we went to the cancer center where we were greeted by a half-completed puzzle of an albino peacock in full splendor.  It felt too familiar walking in and seeing all the nurses and the receptionist who feel like close friends.  It was a mini reunion. I wondered why we were all so happy?  I realize now it is because Roland seems fine. He isn't in a wheel chair.  His hair is back--somewhat.  And most importantly, he was not there for chemo.  He fasted for the scan and so I packed snacks for him, but he said he felt nauseous.  I suspect it was because of his associations with the center.  He ate a few crackers.  The radiation doctor looked him over listened to his breathing and asked some questions.  I suggest that Roland tell him about his new trick to see if it was serious.  (His esophagus makes a slight crackly/gurgly sound some nights after a deliberate exhale). When Roland explained it to the doctor, he said, "How's the swelling in your calf?"  I was perplexed and returned the subject to the throat sound.  The doctor smiled and said he had no idea why that is happening nor what to do to stop it.  The whole situation of moving on so quickly was very funny to me.  I guess it's not too serious.

His next appointment with the oncologist is on Aug 7.  I asked if it would be necessary to wait until then to know the scan results.  The nurses seemed to think they could find out before then.  YAY!!  So we wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment