Monday, March 11, 2013

Making it Better

Roland's stomach has not been feeling well.  I am pretty sure this is normal and is related to his tender esophagus.  He asked for some ginger ale.  Ginger is supposed to be a great stomach settler.  I don't usually buy soda so I read the labels to see what I was getting for him.  One brand didn't even have any ginger in it the other had high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient.  I got some S. Pelingrino and set out to make my own better-for-you ginger ale.  First I chopped up some ginger (that seemed like a good place to start) then I heated some water and honey and steeped the cheesecloth wrapped ginger in it.  This became the concentrate.  I put some crushed ice in a glass, added some concentrate and topped it off with the soda water.  I think it is a fine alternative and more importantly he likes it.  Now I am working on making my own better-for-you protein shake.

It has been a beautiful sunny day today so he has taken the opportunity to sit on the back porch  like a lizard to get a little color to his pale face and newly shaved head.

1 comment: