Monday, March 4, 2013

The Quest for the Perfect Hat

 While studying, Roland has shown me many images of Scythian artwork and stone engravings of the people depicting their clothing styles and armor.  So I shouldn't have been surprised when I asked him what kind of hat he would like and he said he wanted a Scythian cap.  "What does that look like?" I asked.  He said it was a little like Robin Hood, but when I showed him Robin Hood hats for sale, he made a scrunched up face which means, "That's not it."  After some research we found it was more like what is now referred to as a Phrygian hat, but he didn't want it made from felt or fleece. He wanted a hat that looked like what these people are wearing, but with a Robin Hood feel to it.  After all this is an adventure!
.


  Since I couldn't find what he wanted for sale, I decided to make one.  I had a skirt that I knew I would never wear made from a tan suede fabric.


I used the only hat pattern I own which happens to be a Vogue lady's hat from the 1950s, I think.  Thanks Mom.  I figured I would alter it and make it work.


I lined it with the same suede as the exterior.


It took a few revisions like adding a hat band and some feathers and lots of trying on.  Here is the final result.

 






It covers his bald head and he is really excited about the connection he has with the Scythians. Let the new adventures begin!


3 comments:

  1. Wow, k, so in the last picture on the left, Dad looks like Skylar!!! I've never seen that before! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Shawna you are so talented! I'd say those are quite the hat making skills. We love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete