Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ambulance Adventure

The swelling got worse on Saturday and the pain gradually increased, so he went back on pain medication and kept his affected leg elevated.  Our adult kids came Friday night and Saturday for Ground Hog's Day.  Roland really wanted to see the Community Theatre's production of Annie, but he could just hobble on crutches even with the medicine.  I did not want to leave him alone, but he insisted I go and since some of the children would be with him to take care of his needs, I decided to bring the children who wanted to go (to please Roland and to get my mind off his care for a while).  When I arrived home at 10:30, I found him in the bathtub writhing, moaning and cringing, his leg swelling worse.  There were wet towels around, so it appeared he had unsuccessfully tried to get out of the tub.   My first thought was, "Why did I leave him?  This was followed by, "Why didn't he call me?" I wish I could report that I calmly did all the right things.  Instead I asked him a lot of questions about how I could make him comfortable.  He wanted to get dried off and in bed, but he couldn't do that unaided.  We decided to drain the tub.  He was panicky.  (He doesn't get panicky. ) He asked for lots of things at the same time.  (He rarely asks for anything. ) I knew it was time for his Lovenox, so I gave that to him in the tub.  As soon as he was in bed, I called our home teachers. I wanted him to go back to the ER and I didn't think I could get him in the van without some help and our van's heater doesn't work.  I hoped they could drive him to the hospital in a warm car.  He was anxious about getting pneumonia (He had a shot for this already) and could not get warm.  He felt quite warm to touch.  (fever 102 point something) When our home teacHers arrived (what a blessing that they both have medical backgrounds), we decided it was unsafe to move him in case the clot would dislodge and cause more complications, so I called 911.  After lots of paramedic questioning and checking him and wires and beeping sounds, he was carefully gurneyed up and given morphine in the ambulance.  After calming down the children and assuring them that Dad was getting the best possible care, I gathered a set of clothes (He left in just a hospital gown), and went to the ER.  He looked relaxed.  After a while they had his pain managed and care instructions given to me.  (I think I should have a few nursing credits by now!) I was able to bring him home.  He was able to get in the house using crutches.  I set alarms to be able to give him medicine through the night.  My new favorite sound is Roland's soft breathing.  It is music to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment