Friday, February 22, 2013

Our New Game: What Will the Picky Eater Eat?

Roland has never in all our years of marriage requested any particular kind of food unless I begged him to do so.  I get a little smile in my heart when I can figure out what he might like and then get it right.  Now, it is subtle to know, but over the years I have honed the art of knowing the difference between a "Thanks that was great" after dinner comment and a "Thank you that was great" after dinner comment.  There is some inflection and some body language nuances that tell me that I made him a meal he really likes.  But, for the most part I have had to conclude that for Roland food is food.  (Of course there was that one time when Joanne Dortch brought over a meal when I was recovering from having a baby or something and he didn't know that I hadn't made it and I didn't know he didn't know.  He raved for an unusually long time about how delicious it was.  hmmmmm?  Thanks Joanne, I liked it too.) So his esophagus is pretty tender from the radiation.  This is how I try to get him to eat something:

S:  How about some apple sauce?
R: Nah
S:  Can I make you a smoothie?
R: Uh, well, OK, but no citrus, and no berries and...
S: How about a grape juice slush?
R: Nah
S: Something with milk?
R: If it is skim milk.
S:  With ice?
R:  OK as long as it is blended well.
S: Anything else in the smoothie?
R: Uh...
S: How about something sweet like honey?
R: OK, honey and a little peanut butter.
S: Got it.

This is the game for every time he eats.  What do I think about this?  I LOVE it!  Finally after all these years I know exactly what he wants to eat. (heart smiles)  The blender has been his friend. (puree soups)  He has also taken a liking to S. Pellegino water which is so funny to me because it is so NOT Roland to have "special" food or drinks.

Because of his selectiveness and his anti-nausea medicine, he has felt the best digestively today.

1 comment: