Wednesday, February 6, 2013

We Have a Road Map!

Roland was not happy to have to travel again today, but the trip to the cancer center was informative and productive.  He was in a wheel chair or lying down most of the time because moving around makes him nauseous. The radiation doctor prepared him for radiation treatments by scanning him and tattooing him (nothing fancy or artistic--just dots) so he can know exactly where to direct the radiation.  When the oncologist saw him, she was taken aback.  She prescribed a stronger pain medicine.  Yay!  And she gave him some medicine for nausea.  She explained the Chemo that he will be receiving and said he can start on Monday with the radiation.  Wow!  I thought we would have to wait for the leg situation to get better first.  That is a blessing.  There are lots of instructions for me and I am still trying to figure out all the things I need to do.  I have alarms set to give him his different medicines and shots on time.  I am keeping a journal of what he takes when and how he is feeling.  I am taking his temperature and keeping him hydrated and fed six small meals a day.  The new medicine makes him really "out of it" and he doesn't have much of an appetite, but he is supposed to be eating and drinking.  I admit that I am stressed out about caring for him and he hasn't even started Chemo!  The course of treatment is designed to last 2 months, but I am supposed to just try to get through today.  I am happy even though this is hard.  I don't feel alone and we know where we are going with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment