Wednesday, February 20, 2013

PET Scan Results Are in

For some reason, I haven't really been thinking about the scan results.  I have just had a good feeling about it and the current treatment plan.  So when the oncologist showed us the scan on her computer, I was surprised to hear what she said.  The radiologist in St George described in the scan notes areas of "concern" indicating stage 4 (In lung cancer this stage is incurable).  I didn't cry.  I didn't really react at all.  She disagreed with the notes.  Ideally the scan should have been done prior to the treatment, but since we didn't have pre-approval then, we had to do it now.  She didn't see anything unusual.  She attributes what was described as areas of "concern" to Roland's body reacting to the Chemo already in progress and the PE (Pulmonary Embolisms or blood clots in his lungs).  She wants to proceed with the treatment plan for a cure and re-scan a few months after treatment when the Chemo is completely out of his system. She is also talking about two more rounds after these first two rounds.

The radiation doctor has yet to weigh in on this.  He may want to discontinue radiation if he thinks it is stage 4 because radiation is ineffective and unnecessary at stage 4 since it is not curable anyway.  If Roland is at stage 4 they will do what they can to make him comfortable and radiation is not comfortable.

Since leaving the hospital, I have had a little cry about this, but I take comfort in knowing we are doing something to treat him right now.  I can't know if it is working yet, so I am not going to think about that.  It has been a tough day and I am not really wanting to talk about it much.  I prefer to keep my mind back in the stage 3a days.  Since the oncologist is there, I am trying to be too.

On a brighter note, Roland looks healthy and has color in his face again.  He even walked into the treatment center instead of his usual wheelchair travel.  His mind is clear and though he is still tired most of the time, he is happy and quick witted.  The doctor is impressed with how well he is taking the medicines.  She reiterated that she is hitting him hard with Chemo.  Roland is tough.

2 comments:

  1. Shauna, this entry caught me off guard. I am with you, and prefer the oncologist's position. I will beef up my prayers and have the Seminary kids do the same. I wish I was closer. Oh, I wish I was closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys and am praying for you always. I am so glad that you have the strength of the Lord with you. It is still hard, but it is all doable. Shauna, I have cried and prayed and laughed out loud in reading your blog over the past couple of months. I am grateful you keep it to keep us all informed. I know I am one of many who love and appreciate you, Roland and your family.

    ReplyDelete