Friday, January 18, 2013

We Are Not Afraid

Before we got the call, we hung a white board near our little breakfast table. I wrote "gratitude" on the top and made markers available. When anyone wants to write something great about the day, they can. It is now almost full of sentiments.
We knew before we talked to the nurse that Roland had lung cancer. We found out it is non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) which we learned is more treatable than small cell. We don't know what stage it is or whether it has spread to other places. So there are many more tests that need to be done before we can know which path to hike. Right now we are at the trailhead checking our equipment and packing list and tightening our laces. We don't have a road map yet. Roland feels at peace and ready for whatever is next. He was calmly doing a 1000 piece puzzle in the cancer center waiting room. I feel like my shoes are just never going to be comfortable enough for the hike, but I am going to have to hike in them anyway. I am hopeful that the view will be worth it. I couldn't even sit down in the waiting room. That being said, I am confident that I will be given the strength to take on the mountain before us. I remember a good friend and avid hiker, Scott, once taught me on a particulary difficult and steep hike that every step I take is an opportunity to rest the opposite leg and that if I focus on the leg that is resting instead of the leg that is straining, I will be able to press forward to the top. I made it to the top of that mountain and I will make it to the top of this one.

2 comments:

  1. You and your family are such shining examples for the rest of us. You have always been my heros. If love and prayers can pull you all through this, you are going to reach the summit in great style.
    GrandmaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best of encouragement from me to you're entire family. I know often it can be harder for those who are watching than those who are actually going through the rough experience. Who knew three and a half weeks ago when you came to visit that your own family would soon be beginning it's individual battle against cancer. The good news is that I don't believe Brother Brown to have ever been a "pack-a-day smoker", besides him being active and eating healthy. Also, the chemo's we have today are so much more individual and pin-pointed. Plus, the drugs and antibiotics that accompany them have spread to an almost unbelievable range so that they always have something more to give you and help you. I read that there are four types of NSCSC, but I'm sure you will post about it as soon as you know which one. Thanks for the update. We are all praying our hearts out for him. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete