Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Room 107

Tonight Roland was moved out of ICU, yay! He is even "just fine" with a smaller TV. (He doesn't watch it :)) I just remembered something he said when he was watching the monitor during an ultra sound on his heart. "Well, it looks like it's a boy!" The doctors discussed the possibility of putting filters on the clotted veins/arteries, but in the end they decided to put him back on Heparin and then take him off it for a shorter time before the biopsy. This decision will be less painful. He is still taking meds for pain in his legs. He likes making connections with the kind caretakers. A Philippina came into his room to straighten up. He asked her about Manny Pacquiao the boxer and they talked about him, then he thanked her in Tagalog for cleaning up. The doctors are pleasantly surprised that Roland's oxygen levels are so high because usually patients with his condition have a more restrictive lung capacity. They also remarked that his heart is not being forced to work harder to compensate. This is all good news. He has a picture of our family near his bed and he feels peaceful and has no fears. When I asked what I could do for him, he asked me to be with the children as much as I can when they are not in school so that their routines are not interrupted. It is a great blessing that my mom has been visiting us during this time. She has been a great help in keeping things in order. Roland appreciates all her help, but he wants the children to have me with them as much as I can. I really want to be with Roland all the time, but for him, I am staying at home when the children are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment