Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Morning Announcement :)

This morning Roland seemed surprisingly cheerful. He was still growling (less painful than coughing) He wanted to gather everyone for scripture study. When we were all together, he told us he had an announcement to make. He said, *growl-cough* "A miracle happened." I was wide-eyed with amazement since I didn't know what he was going to say. He announced, "Much to my surprise, *growl-cough* last night I suddenly found out something very important." Then he beamed, "I can speak Orc!" He translated a few of his subsequent growl-coughs. Everyone enjoyed that. The children went to church and I am staying with him. When he growl-coughs I try to guess the translation. He is listening to the Book of Mormon in Spanish and Doctrine and Covenants in Japanese. Obviously he is more upbeat when he doesn't take the pain medicine with narcotics. Since he is planning to resume working tomorrow, he wants to see how well he can function with the non-drowsy stuff. The downside is that it doesn't mask the pain as well. This afternoon we will go to the hospital for another round of blood thinning shots. They are making a rainbow on his belly that eventually will look like a fermata with his belly button for the dot. It isn't pleasant, but it is keeping him alive. We are all so grateful for our friends and family who have been loving us throughout this "adventure."

2 comments:

  1. I remember the ring around my belly button shots after my stroke. That was not fun, and it kind of made me feel like a target. I was glad when that stopped - it does eventually stop. -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shauna, This is DeAnn Olsen. Leslie just called me and told me about Roland. I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. But I am also so amazed at your positive outlook on even the little victories. I still remember the prayer Tikla gave when we came over to dinner when her and Chase were four. You are in our thoughts continually. Much love. DeAnn and Darren

    ReplyDelete